Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 28,000 people employed as career profile - advertising and promotions... in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $127,150. Entry level employees earn approximately $61,250 per year and senior employees earn approximately $208,000 (or more) per year.
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Direct and coordinate product research and development.
- Plan and prepare advertising and promotional material to increase sales of products or services, working with customers, company officials, sales departments, and advertising agencies.
- Inspect layouts and advertising copy, and edit scripts, audio, video, and other promotional material for adherence to specifications.
- Confer with department heads or staff to discuss topics such as contracts, selection of advertising media, or product to be advertised.
- Coordinate with the media to disseminate advertising.
- Coordinate activities of departments, such as sales, graphic arts, media, finance, and research.
- Plan and execute advertising policies and strategies for organizations.
- Direct, motivate, and monitor the mobilization of a campaign team to advance campaign goals.
- Prepare budgets and submit estimates for program costs as part of campaign plan development.
- Contact organizations to explain services and facilities offered.
- Monitor and analyze sales promotion results to determine cost effectiveness of promotion campaigns.
- Identify and develop contacts for promotional campaigns and industry programs that meet identified buyer targets, such as dealers, distributors, or consumers.
- Track program budgets, expenses, and campaign response rates to evaluate each campaign, based on program objectives and industry norms.
- Read trade journals and professional literature to stay informed on trends, innovations, and changes that affect media planning.
- Manage sales team, including setting goals, providing incentives, and evaluating employee performance.
- Prepare and negotiate advertising and sales contracts.
- Formulate plans to extend business with established accounts and to transact business as agent for advertising accounts.
- Train and direct workers engaged in developing and producing advertisements.
- Assemble and communicate with a strong, diverse coalition of organizations or public figures, securing their cooperation, support, and action, to further campaign goals.
- Provide presentation and product demonstration support during the introduction of new products and services to field staff and customers.
- Represent company at trade association meetings to promote products.