Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 76,900 people employed as career profile - computer hardware engineers in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $128,170. Entry level employees earn approximately $77,100 per year and senior employees earn approximately $208,000 (or more) per year.
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Provide training and support to system designers and users.
- Monitor functioning of equipment and make necessary modifications to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration, drawing on system performance expectations and design specifications.
- Assemble and modify existing pieces of equipment to meet special needs.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan layout, including type of computers and peripheral equipment modifications.
- Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, and humidity in area of system installation.
- Update knowledge and skills to keep up with rapid advancements in computer technology.
- Design and develop computer hardware and support peripherals, including central processing units (CPUs), support logic, microprocessors, custom integrated circuits, and printers and disk drives.
- Confer with engineering staff and consult specifications to evaluate interface between hardware and software and operational and performance requirements of overall system.
- Build, test, and modify product prototypes, using working models or theoretical models constructed with computer simulation.
- Write detailed functional specifications that document the hardware development process and support hardware introduction.
- Test and verify hardware and support peripherals to ensure that they meet specifications and requirements, by recording and analyzing test data.
- Direct technicians, engineering designers or other technical support personnel as needed.
- Provide technical support to designers, marketing and sales departments, suppliers, engineers and other team members throughout the product development and implementation process.
- Select hardware and material, assuring compliance with specifications and product requirements.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Analyze user needs and recommend appropriate hardware.
- Evaluate factors such as reporting formats required, cost constraints, and need for security restrictions to determine hardware configuration.