Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 22,800 people employed as career profile - electrical and electronics... in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $93,420. Entry level employees earn approximately $59,540 per year and senior employees earn approximately $120,000 per year.
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Inspect and test equipment and circuits to identify malfunctions or defects, using wiring diagrams and testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, or ammeters.
- Prepare and maintain records detailing tests, repairs, and maintenance.
- Consult manuals, schematics, wiring diagrams, and engineering personnel to troubleshoot and solve equipment problems and to determine optimum equipment functioning.
- Analyze test data to diagnose malfunctions, to determine performance characteristics of systems, or to evaluate effects of system modifications.
- Open and close switches to isolate defective relays, performing adjustments or repairs.
- Notify facility personnel of equipment shutdowns.
- Repair, replace, and clean equipment and components such as circuit breakers, brushes, and commutators.
- Run signal quality and connectivity tests for individual cables, and record results.
- Maintain inventories of spare parts for all equipment, requisitioning parts as necessary.
- Construct, test, maintain, and repair substation relay and control systems.
- Schedule and supervise splicing or termination of cables in color-code order.
- Test oil in circuit breakers and transformers for dielectric strength, refilling oil periodically.
- Disconnect voltage regulators, bolts, and screws, and connect replacement regulators to high-voltage lines.
- Set forms and pour concrete footings for installation of heavy equipment.
- Test insulators and bushings of equipment by inducing voltage across insulation, testing current, and calculating insulation loss.
- Schedule and supervise the construction and testing of special devices and the implementation of unique monitoring or control systems.